Friday, June 7, 2013

Early Marriage Adjustments

In class on Tuesday we talked about conflicts that ca arise in the early marriage stage and the many adjustments that are made at that stage. There was an instance where we talked about things that can be done as early as the engagement period to avoid conflict in early marriage. In my marriage class we learned about 2 kinds of conflict that present themselves in a marriage no matter what stage that marriage is in. These were perpetual and solvable problems. Solvable problems include issues on money, dealing with stress, household chores, sex, parenthood, and in laws. Perpetual problems are those types of issues that no matter how many times you may argue about, they never are solved.

I think that early on, before marriage, it is important to communicate about what you want. For example if you really care about tidiness and are worried that perhaps your spouse will have trouble with that-- talk about it! Solvable problems are easily solved when you talk about them. It will be far more easier to adjust to marriage life if you discuss with your significant other how you will deal with potential problems that you anticipate will appear early on in your marriage. If you solve those problems early on, there will be less conflict between the both of you as time progresses.

Something that I thought about as married students in the class shared what they had to adjust to when the first married, I thought specifically about the issue of sharing a bed. Don't get me wrong, I love to cuddle and sleep in someone's arms, but to do that for 7+ hours? I love sleeping and if there is someone next to me perhaps snoring or kicking-- I will kick you out. That's another thing I sometimes worry about when I do in fact get married-- what if my future husband snores? The sound of snoring is absolutely so beyond annoying to me. How on Earth will I adjust to that if my spouse snores? I guess we will have to see!

I bet Heavenly Father will make it that the guy I marry snore just to test my patience. Ah man, that would be hilarious, but let's hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment